Monday, January 23, 2012

Hair Length OBSESSION??

Today while on naturallycurly.com I came across an article that ponders if we as naturals have an obsession with hair length. I had to stop for a second and think about just how much attaining my goal length means to me.....turns out it means a lot! I have just as many gadgets to protect my hair, or somehow length related as I do stylers.


Satin pillowcase- check
Satin bonnet - check
Silk scarfs - check
Length check shirt (2) - check

I also spoil my hair with natural/nearly all natural products because I want it to be healthy. Healthy hair to me is evident when I can see my process in terms of growth. It only makes sense that if my ends are being preserved and my hair is growing (as hair always is) that I'll see the evidence in greater lengths. Now, I'm not talking hair that is down to my waist with ridiculously thin and chewed up ends from APL down (side-eye to that shit). No, I mean nice looking healthy ends on a healthy head of hair. Of course there are other means of identifying healthy hair, i.e. shine/sheen, moisture, elasticity, strength, and on and on. Those are all things I aspire to for my mane. Don't begrudge me because I want the length too.

Alright, so maybe I am a little obsessed. Sue me.

*ETA- it's also interesting that the article states that type 4 naturals seem to be more obsessed. For me personally growing my hair to long lengths is sort of a screw you to all the people that said/thought that it isn't possible for a person with dark skin to do so. Also, I want to be able to cover my boobies in a nakie pic, and possibly use my ponytail as a weapon if need be. Eh.






2 comments:

Me too! I can't decide which I want more: the naked boob pic or the whip! LOL

you said everything i could have and more. thanks for your honesty. oh, and 4type isn't the only length-obsessed hair type. speaking from a 3s p.o.v i'm pretty much as obsessed if not more than you are, i'd be willing to bet. i think most women, particularly younger women, crave length, regardless of race and hair type.

Post a Comment

Instagram